The teacher of glass
Which are the materials that you use?
- I use many, many materials…..especially glass, acrylic and video.
How would you characterise your work?
- Lying in the uncomfortable middle…..somewhere between achingly beautiful in a victorian way and the new media of today.
Where is the beauty of glass, what fascinates you in this?
- Τhe beauty of glass (and acrylic as well) is in its maleability and transparency.
What is your favorite artistic tool?
- Rubber molds.
Besides art, what else do you do?
I bake pies better than Μildred Pierce. (Mildred Pierce is a 1945 American drama film based on novel written by James M. Cain.)
Who or what influences and inspires you?
- Old movies, silent film, experimental video from the 50’s.
What is your favorite piece of your work?
- The healing polyopticon.
What is the first artist who comes to your mind?
- Joseph von Sternberg
What can you tell about your character, as a remnant of your teenage years?
- It took me 30 years to return to that teenager and his trust in my work.
What haven’t you done and still would like to do?
I have not gotten into the Whitney Biennale.
Thank you Tim for your answers.
You can find more of his projects on his site.
Written by: Eleftheria Vonaparti – Translated by: Gretel Athanasiou